Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Onions and Cheese

Tuesday 2 April 2013



We were sorting out the lounge/dining room today when I discovered a long overdue library book of Todd's hiding under the coffee table.  We finished up our job and then he went into town to take it back and face the music.  I, on the other hand, decided to make myself some lunch.  I thought I would take advantage of Todd's absence and cook myself some pasta!



I love pasta and it's not something that I get to eat a whole lot of as Todd is not a big fan, although I do torture him with it from time to time.  (Bad me!)

Anyways, I found a butternut squash that needed using up and I thought I'd make something reminiscent of those lovely little pumpkin ravioli that you can get or make yourself . . . but a WHOLE lot easier!



The butternut squash is gently browned in some olive oil along with some onions . . . until the edges are lightly caramelized, bringing out all that delicious natural sweetness . . . tastily mingled with some garlic and sage leaves, another beautiful marriage . . . and then tossed together with some freshly cooked pasta and grated Parmesan . . . and you have something quite out of this world.



I sat here on the sofa this afternoon, eating it right out of the pan (I know . . . I am so naughty) and watching episodes of Diners Drive Ins and Dives that I had taped.   (The Toddster hates food telly, so I try to watch it when he's out.)



There is no better way to spend an afternoon than watching food telly whilst munching on some delicious pasta that you just rustled up!!  Watching food telly always makes me kind of hungry, so I was glad that I had something to fill that gap with while I was watching.



Oh I do make myself happy sometimes!  I love it when that happens.  It was the perfect afternoon.



*Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Onions and Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A tasty pasta dish that I kind of threw together.  It tastes close to those fabulous pumpkin filled pasta ravioli you can make, but is a lot less trouble!  Delicious too!

a splash of olive oil
10 to 12 small fresh sage leaves
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 fat onion, peeled and thinly sliced
400g of butternut squash, peeled and de-seeded and cut into thin slices (about 3/4pound)
400g of spaghetti (about 3/4 pound)
a knob of butter
a handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
50g of Parmesan cheese grated  (1/2 cup)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pour a splash of oil into a large nonstick skillet.  Add the squash and onions.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until golden but not breaking up.  Add the garlic and sage and cook for a few minutes.  Toss in the knob of butter and take off the heat.  Set aside and keep warm while you cook the pasta.  (This sitting time is essential in order to allow the flavours to meld properly.)

Cook your pasta according to the package directions.  Drain well and then toss into the warm pan with the squash mixture.  Add half of the cheese and the parsley.  Season well with some salt and pepper and then toss gently to combine.  Pour into a heated serving bowl and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Serve immediately.

5 comments

  1. this sounds amazing! I hope you made enough for left overs so you can enjoy them again!
    I also hope Todd's fines weren't to high!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous!! and you've made pasta healthy!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some butternut in the crisper that needed using up and this was a perfect way to do that. I added a little pancetta and some toasted pinenuts when serving it and they were nice additions. We enjoyed it very much, with a rocket salad on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your additions Marie! Pancetta goes so nicely with butternut squash, and I adore pine nuts! Thanks so much for taking the time to make this and to share your experience with us! I really appreciate it! So pleased you enjoyed it. I adore rocket salad! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!