Scrummy Carrot Cake

Wednesday 15 May 2013



We have company coming over later today for supper. Two couples that we have been friends with for a long time.

I just love having people over. Entertaining and cooking are two of my absolute favourite things of all, and when I get to do the two of them together, well . . . I am in seventh heaven!



With this lovely sunny and warm weather we are having, I would have loved to do a Barbeque, but old Grumble guts doesn't want to fork out the money just yet for a new barbeque . . . our old one was pretty rusty and so we got rid of it before we moved . . .



He's not really a grumble guts . . . just tight when it comes to spending money, and I guess that is understandable as we are both out of work at the moment. I'm much more of the impulsive . . . worry about it later kind of a person. . I challenge his boundaries often and on occasion he reels me back in to reality!! We balance each other out perfectly I think!



Nevermind . . . tis a chance to break out the fancy Tableware. I have done a variety of salads, some delicious marinated and grilled chicken which we will have cold . . . and for dessert, the piece de resistance . . .



My world famous carrot cake!! Well, it's famous in my little world at any rate, and that's what counts!



Moist, delicious and chock full of lovely little surprises like coconut, pineapple and toasted walnuts. Oh my, but this is scrummdiddly-yummy! Topped with my cream cheese buttercream icing, it is sure to go down a real treat!

Hmmm . . . do you think they'll notice a piece missing???



*Scrummy Carrot Cake*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

Moist, delicious and probably the best carrot cake you will ever bake. This has been a family favourite of ours for many years. I usually bake it in two layers and freeze one, un-iced, now that there are only two of us. That way I always have a delicious dessert on tap in the freezer.

280g plain flour (2 cups)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
360g caster sugar (1 3/4 cups)
8 ounces vegetable oil (1 cup)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
5 ounces peeled and shredded carrot (about 6 small to medium)
3 ounces shredded sweetened coconut (1 cup)
115g chopped toasted walnuts (1 cup)
1 420g tin of pineapple chunks (8 ounce tin)

To frost:
4 ounces softened butter
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
420g icing sugar, sifted (3 cups)
1 to 2 TBS cream

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark4. Butter and flour a 9 by 13 inch baking pan, or two 9 inch round baking pans, tapping out any excess flour.

Empty the tin of pineapple into the food processor and blitz until chopped into bits, but not pureed. Pour into a sieve and drain well.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Beat together the eggs, vanilla and oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the liquid all at once. Fold together with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the carrots, coconut, nuts and pineapple. Spread in the prepared pan (s). Bake on a centre rack in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan (s).

To make the frosting, beat together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy, only adding enough cream to give you the right consistency for spreading.

If you wish you can garnish the top with additonal chopped toasted walnuts.

2 comments

  1. Carrot cake just the way I like it. Your cake would be famous at my house, too. Absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot cake is without a doubt my favorite treat! Lovely post and great pictures, keep up the good work! I'm going to try this recipe and the weekend! Wish me luck!

    rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!