Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Monday 3 June 2013

  photo SAM_6280_zps543ad109.jpg

 I think I am really rather late climbing onto the Pulled Pork band wagon.  I know it's been around for a while . . . but in all truth, until I tasted my son's fabulous sandwiches recently in Canada, I hadn't even been tempted to taste such a thing.

 photo SAM_6281_zps4a3167ec.jpg

I think it was a consistency thing for me.  I am not overly fond of pork that's well done . . . I am not sure why.   When my son said he was making pulled pork sandwiches I thought to myself, here we go . . . and thought I would be polite and eat it anyways . . . but guess what?

 photo SAM_6282_zps3801bbf5.jpg

I fell in love.  Simples . . .

  photo SAM_6283_zps7df995c7.jpg

Totally and completely in love.    In fact I fell so completely and utterly in love I found myself wondering how I had managed to get this far in life without having tasted one!

  photo SAM_6284_zpsfcbdb509.jpg

Of course I had to make them for Todd when I got home.  I knew he would love them.  Of course I had to put my own spin on them as well . . .

  photo SAM_6287_zps10b96834.jpg

Homemade barbeque sauce . . . you know it's good.   Melted cheddar, chopped spring onions and chopped dill pickles . . . even better.  In fact I'd call these totally scrumdiddlyumptious!
  photo SAM_6279_zps629c491d.jpg
*Pulled Pork Sandwiches*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe
 
I had this at my sons and it was delicious.  So simple, and so easy.  He used bottled sauce, but I made my own.  I also added a rub and a few garnishes to create what I think is the perfect pulled pork sandwich!
1 pork tenderloin
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp coriander seed
2 tsp mild chili powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
2 tsp salt
1/2 of a single serving can of Dr Pepper, Root Beer,
or Coca Cola
For the sauce:
2 cups tomato ketchup
1/3 cup soft dark brown sugar, packed
1 small onion, peeled and grated finely
2 TBS sunflower oil
3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
1 TBS cider vinegar
1 TBS tomato puree (paste)
1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp smoked paprika
fresh ground white pepper and salt to taste
To finish:
toasted buns
butter
sliced strong cheddar cheese
chopped dill pickles
chopped spring onions

  photo SAM_6291_zpsbddb0415.jpg

Put the spices for the pork into a mortar and pestle and grind them fine.  Rub this mixture all over the pork, rubbing it in well.  Put this into the bottom of a slow cooker.   Pour the Dr Pepper (Root Beer or Coca Cola) around the pork.  Pop the lid on and cook for 1 hour on high, then reduce to low and cook for 6 to 7 hours until the pork is fork tender.

While the pork is cooking make the sauce.  Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until thick and the flavours have melded well.
Once the pork has cooked until nice and tender, remove it from the crock pot.   Scrape off any fat and discard.  Using two forks, shred the pork to your desired consistency.  Return it to the crock pot along with prepared Barbeque Sauce to your taste, stirring it all together.
Butter and toast your buns under the grill.  Top with cheese, pickles and onions,   Pop back under to melt the cheese.  Divide the shredded pork amongst the buns, close up and enjoy!

1 comment

  1. I made (and tasted) pulled pork for the first time this week also! Cooked mine in a slow cooker in stock but love the idea of using dr pepper, think I may have to try it your way next time (there definitely will be a next time!!) So scrummy isn't it, hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!