Spag Bol and Cheese Garlic Toastie

Monday 25 August 2014

 photo SAM_6291_zps29519835.jpg

Occasionally you see something which is totally outrageous and yet strangely appealing at the same time.  That's the way it was for me when I saw these toasted Spaghetti and Cheese sandwiches popping up all over the net.  





 photo SAM_6292_zps092d597a.jpg

Every time I  saw one my taste buds tingled, and my pasta loving heart skipped a huge beat.   They kept calling to me, and so the last time I cooked us a nice pot of Spaghetti Bolognese . . .  I froze the leftovers so that I could take them out sometime and try those tasty sandwiches out!

  photo SAM_6293_zpsed12c6e2.jpg

I thought it would make an even tastier toastie if I spread the bread with garlic butter before toasting.   It turned out great!

 photo SAM_6294_zps78f9fe85.jpg

Maybe not so pretty to look at, but boys oh boys, were they ever tasty toasties!  My carb loving heart was in seventh heaven!  I hope you will throw caution to the wind and try them for yourselves.   They are incredibly moreishly delicious!!

  photo SAM_6299_zps6ca7446f.jpg

*Spaghetti Bol and  Cheese Garlic Toastie*
Serves 3
I saved my leftover spaghetti bolognese (sauce and pasta mixed together) and froze it, just so I could take this out on a Sunday, thaw it out and then make these tasty garlic toasted grilled cheese sandwiches after church.  A bit messy to eat, but so delicious and well worth the mess.  


2-3 cups prepared spaghetti and meat sauce, mixed together
4 TBS Butter
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
6 thick slices of bread
3 thick slices of mozzarella cheese    
 photo SAM_6296_zps42f2051b.jpg
Warm your spaghetti  mixture up until warmed through.  (I use the microwave for this)

 photo SAM_6298_zps6c51a511.jpg

Stir together the garlic, butter and parsley flakes until well combined.   Butter one side only of each slice  of bread.  Have ready a large skillet.  You will probably only be able to manage one toastie at a time, so have your oven on low and a baking tray waiting. Heat the skillet over medium heat.  Place one slice of buttered bread in the skillet buttered side down. 

 photo SAM_6305_zpsc92e0760.jpg


Top with one third of the spaghetti mixture and top with a slice of cheese.  Finish off wit one slice of garlic bread, buttered side up.   Toast over medium heat until browned on the bottom side.   Carefully flip over and brown on the other side until the cheese is melted and the toast is golden brown.   Pop into the oven to keep warm while you toast the others.   Repeat with the remaining ingredients.  Serve hot and cut on the diagonal. 

8 comments

  1. That's just a fancy pants version of the spaghetti jaffle.
    A staple of our sunday night dinners - white bread buttered on the outside, put in the jaffle maker then spoon out a blog of tinned spaghetti, add some cheese if you're being fancy and top with another piece of bread.
    Close jaffle maker. Curse as it spills out the sides.
    Curse again once its finished and it's too hot to eat straight away but you try anyway and it burns your mouth.
    A true delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a Jaffle Beks? What is it? I assume it's something like a stuffed waffle?? No idea. Can't think of anything that might be more disgusting than using tinned spaghetti! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tinned spaghetti and I honestly think My son was raised on it! I know I was even though we're Canadian!(from 1974). My boy is now almost 35 and when he comes to visit he still wants canned spaghetti on toast with grated cheese!
    I know this is not pertinent to the recipe really but I just had to share anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes, what's a Jaffle???

    ReplyDelete
  5. It stands to reason.. Spaguetti and garlic bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelie, I love canned spaghetti on toast! I really do, but I think it would be too soupy for these. The real thing holds together better I think. There is nothing tastier than tinned spaghetti on toast with sliced hot dogs in it! (me bad)

    I looked up jaffle and it's like a pocket sandwich maker thingie.

    It's really tasty Monique, bet the grands would love it! It's man food, just so long as the man likes spaghetti that is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really good to me! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Valerie! I thought it might! ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!