Fried Potato Salad

Tuesday 21 July 2015

 photo DSCN2318_zpsk9std4sk.jpg

 I often cook too many potatoes in the summertime so that I have leftover potatoes just to make this salad.   It's a bit different than your usual salad . . . and very tasty!  I love fried potatoes . . .  so why not fried potato salad?  You know it makes sense!  (As Del Boy would say!)



 photo DSCN2319_zpslde28tvw.jpg

Leftover boiled potatoes (I like the baby ones) halved or quartered and fried, until crispy brown . . .

  photo DSCN2320_zpsrowejbtg.jpg

Tossed together with a punchy honey mustard vinaigrette . . .

 photo DSCN2321_zpsptuulbkj.jpg

Using not one, but two delicious mustards . . .  regular Dijon and a Whole Grain Dijon . . .  and then some sweet honey . . .

  photo DSCN2323_zpstlqdslqt.jpg

Some sherry vinegar, olive oil, seasoning and fresh thyme leaves seal the deal.  Delicious served with all grilled meats and fish.  This salad is truly a winner/winner chicken dinner!

 photo DSCN2324_zpsdxahbyze.jpg


*Fried Potato Salad*
Serves 6 to 8

A delicious salad adapted to use leftover cooked baby potatoes.  (I always cook extra in the summer so that I can make this tasty dish!) 

2 1/4 pound of leftover cooked baby potatoes
1 1/2 TBS light olive oil for frying
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
2 TBS sherry vinegar
1 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS whole grain mustard
1 TBS runny honey
60ml of extra virgin olive oil (1/4 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste
mustard cress to garnish


 photo DSCN2325_zpsuvhgujzz.jpg

Cut the potatoes into halves.   Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Tip in the potatoes and cook stirring, occasionally until they are golden brown and crisp.  Season lightly.


While the potatoes are frying, stir together the vinegar and shallots.  Let stand for 10 minutes.   Whisk in the mustards, honey and extra virgin olive oil.  Season to taste.  Set aside.


Tip the fried potatoes into a bowl.   Whisk the vinaigrette together again and tip it over the hot potatoes in the bowl, tossing to coat.   Serve warm or at room temperature with the mustard cress sprinkled over top.

8 comments

  1. I often cook the whole bag new potatoes. Eat them hot, and pick at them cold! I always shallow fry the last few, and usually have them with fried egg, never thought of making them into a salad.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, it looks so good, wish I had some in front of me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to try this Julie! It's really good! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite yummy Monique! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so good Marie. I'll let you know when I've made it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!