Tuna Tug Boats

Friday 5 February 2016

 photo DSCN5055_zpsbz4yb6yb.jpg

This is an oven sandwich that I used to make often for my kids when they were growing up.  They're delicious, simple to make and they use ingredients I normally have in my larder.  So they are a bit of a store cupboard meal.  Also  if you use low fat cheese and mayonnaise, they are not that unhealthy.  Especially if you serve them with some vegetable sticks or salad on the side.

 photo DSCN5056_zpsrhujuzd7.jpg

Also I would only use tuna in spring water for this, not brine or olive oil, and I'll let you in on a little secret . . .  when I was a very young woman and grocery shopping one day, an old Italian woman told me (as I was perusing the tuna shelf) to never buy anything but Albacore Tuna.  She said the rest was garbage.  I picked up a can of the albacore and I have to say she was right.  There is no comparison.

  photo DSCN5057_zpsmaxobfu3.jpg

 This is a case where you really do get what you pay for and in this case it is worth the extra pennies to buy albacore.  This same woman also told me that carrots with a blunt rounded end were sweeter, and she was right about that as well.  These old cooks . . .  they know what they are talking about.

 photo DSCN5058_zpsbgeaasvd.jpg

This is one of those recipes where you will find that the basic filling is really tasty, but it's also not hard to charge it up and adapt according to what you have on hand and like.  Try adding some chopped celery for extra crunch, or chopped green or black  olives.  All are very good.

  photo DSCN5059_zpsnqh1dpju.jpg

It's one case where you will find that one tin of tuna will feed the whole family, quite satisfactorily and all will enjoy . . .  and there are not too many things that you can say that about.  (You will find that the tins of Albacore Tuna, actually have more tuna in them and less water, so you are really getting value for money spent in the long run.)  Enjoy!

 photo DSCN5060_zpshu0nhulr.jpg

*Tuna Tug Boats*
Makes 4

This is an oldie but a goodie. My kids always loved these, and I did too!  Quite simply delicious!


1 (200g) tin of albacore tuna, drained and flaked (6.5 ounces)
(I use the one in water)
72g of good mayonnaise (1/3 cup) (I use the low fat)
a heaped dessert spoon of sweet pickle relish
(Over here the one labeled New York Deli relish by French's)
2 TBS finely chopped spring onions
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
pinch salt and black pepper
120g of strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
(again I use the low fat)
4 hot dog buns, split open
4 TBS of grated strong cheddar cheese to finish


 photo DSCN5061_zpsymoely8q.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready a baking dish large enough to fit the hot dog buns snug together.


Mash together the tuna, mayo, relish, onions, mustard along with the salt and pepper.  Stir in the first amount of cheddar cheese.  Fill the buns with this mixture, dividing it equally amongst them.  Place into the baking dish next to each other.  Sprinkle 1 TBS of cheese over top of each.

 photo DSCN5062_zpsnn7ctuci.jpg


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is hot and bubbly and the buns are golden.  Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.  Serve warm.  Potato chips or french fries are great go withs.

 photo DSCN5065_zpsgnzzuyq6.jpg

Todd had his with Dusty Fries . . .  simply oven chips dusted with some garlic and onion powders, paprika and a bit of Parmesan Cheese before baking.  I had a nice salad with mine. 

Bon Appetit!!


4 comments

  1. My kids would have loved these had I known about them back then. What a great idea - easy, quick, using ingredients one mostly has on hand - really ideal for those "mug of soup and a toasted sandwich" days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Marie, and in a pinch tinned salmon also works well. I think adults love them just as much as children! xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They really do Monique! At least mine did! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!