Parmesan Chicken with an Avocado/Tomato Salad

Wednesday 13 July 2016

 photo DSCN8040_zpsjms48akf.jpg

I made us a deliciously light supper tonight of some golden, tender and moist . . . lightly sauteed chicken breasts and a fabulous avocado and tomato salad!  It is a recipe meant to feed only two, but could very easily be doubled if you have more to feed, but you might want to use two skillets for sauteeing the chicken.  Easy peasy.

 photo DSCN8041_zpsxcudrpbx.jpg

Chicken breasts are the perfect canvas for many flavours and these were simply seasoned, dipped in beaten egg white and then rolled in a simple mix of finely grated Parmesan cheese and chili powder for a bit of zip.  Chicken and Parmesan are a marriage made in heaven!

 photo DSCN8042_zpshdtzskxr.jpg

The salad really makes this dish.  It's a beautiful mix of colour, flavours and textures.

 photo DSCN8043_zpsrzzlvzxi.jpg

The tomatoes are sweet and juicy.  Not quite from my garden yet, but soon  . . .  the avocado so rich and creamy . . .

  photo DSCN8044_zpsoltcugqv.jpg

There is also some thinly sliced red onions for a bit of zip . . .  much milder in flavour than the white onions . . . but also colourful.  I added basil, which goes well with all of those flavours . . .

 photo DSCN8047_zps2gxoydqg.jpg

It came from my garden. It's bush basil, which means it has really tiny leaves which grow in small clusters, but it tastes the same as the larger basil. The dressing is simply a good quality Balsamic vinegar and some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.

  photo DSCN8048_zps7pfxiucf.jpg

Simple ingredients, but when put together the flavours are just WOW!  I love it when that happens.  This made for a lovely light supper.  I added some crusty bread for Todd.

 photo DSCN8045_zpskhxtme5e.jpg

*Parmesan Chicken with Avocado Salad*
Serves 2

I love these quick, easy and delicious recipes that are sized just for two.  This is an excellent summer night supper. 

For the chicken:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
a pinch of chili powder
50g of finely grated Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup)
1 large egg white, beaten
1 TBS olive oil for frying
Lemon wedges to serve
For the salad:
1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 handfuls of ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
a small handful of basil leaves, cut chiffonade
(Rolled into a tight roll and slice thinly)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 


 photo DSCN8050_zps2shblpfy.jpg

First make the salad.   Mix all together gently and then set aside while you do the chicken.
Mix together the parmesan cheese and chili powder in a shallow bowl.  Set aside.    Lightly whisk the egg white in another shallow bowl.


Cut the chicken pieces in half, horizontally through the middle so that you have two thin escallopes.  Pound a tiny bit to even out their size.   Season lightly.  Dip one at a time into the beaten egg white and then the parmesan to coat.  Lay aside while you heat the oil over high heat  in a skillet.  Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken breast pieces and cook quickly for 2 minutes per side, until crisp and golden brown.  Lay two fillets on each of two plates along with a portion of salad and a lemon wedge for squeezing.  Delicious!

 photo DSCN8051_zpsbzp8egqa.jpg

I do hope you will try this.  It's really  healthy, simple, quick and very tasty!  Bon Appetit!

8 comments

  1. this sounds really nice Marie! I'll have to find some affordable parmesan, can you recommend something that's not too pricey? I love avocados too so that salad sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I always buy all of my cheeses in Aldi or Lidl. They are quite affordable! I grate it myself.

      Delete
  2. Mary, the parmesan in Aldi is very reasonable, wouldn't buy it anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I'm going to try this out in ther coming week. I love meals that are simple but full of flavour.

    (And off topic, I just wanted to say that the allium in your garden is Allium siculum, known as honey garlic, Sicilian honey lily, Sicilian honey garlic, or Mediterranean bells. I have it in my garden as well and it's a bee magnet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love the chicken Marie! Hope your summer is going well! Yes, Sicilian Honey Garlic, I remember now! Thanks! It IS a bee magnet for sure. They love it. I can only imagine the flavour of the honey they might produce! Mmmm... sounds good! xo

      Delete
  4. Just perfect for me.Chicken and salad.Honey garlic..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe has your name written on it Monique! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!