Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

Making Mexican (Tex Mex) food here in the UK has always presented me with somewhat of a challenge.  


Although there are certainly many more ingredients available these days in the grocery shops than there were when I first  moved over here,  they are quite Briticized and not everything that I am used to using is available.   But that's okay.  I adapt.

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Old El Paso Web Site.    


We've only just gotten the stand and stuff taco shells over here, but there is a great tutorial for making your own here.

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

Old El Paso Spicy Taco seasoning isn't available here.  Instead they have Garlic Paprika Taco Seasoning mix.  


It's probably the same thing, but uses spanish smoked paprika, which is quite hot and spicy so it worked well.

 Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

No such thing as tinned green chillies either, but that is also okay. I just use fresh green chillies which I deseed, trim and chop and then soften along with the onions.  


I have always done this over here in the UK when it calles for tinned green chillies and it works well.

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

I keep telling  myself that I am going to buy a mitt full of green chillies one day and roast my own, but I never do  . . .  and so I just use them fresh.  


I don't really like my food super hot anyways.

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

These were really, really nice.  I made my husband's with soft stand and stuff tacos because he doesn't like really hard food and those worked well also.

 Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

I served them with our favourite garnishes of chopped peppers, onions, olives, shredded lettuce and sour cream.   Very scrumptious indeed!  And so simple and quick to make!  Now if we could only get the Mexican cheese.  I used a mix of Strong Cheddar and Jack.

Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos


*Oven Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos*
Makes 10
Simple and delicious.  A real family pleaser.  

1 TBS oil
1/2 pound cooked, shredded chicken
1 packet hot and spicy taco seasoning
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 400g diced tomatoes, drained well (14.5 ounces)
2 green chilies, trimmed and chopped (discard seeds and ribs)
10 taco shells
10 TBS refried beans
240g of grated cheese (I use a mix of strong cheddar and jack) (2 cups)
To serve:
your favourite taco toppings such as sliced jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, chopped coriander, shredded lettuce, etc.)


Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the onion and chilies.  Cook, stirring frequently until softened.  Add the garlic.  Cook until fragrant and then add the chicken, taco seasoning and drained tomatoes.   Reduce to low and then cook for five to eight minutes so that the flavours meld.


Place the taco shells in the baking dish, open side up, next to each other.  Place a TBS of beans in the bottom of each.  Top with a portion of the chicken mixture.  Sprinkle generously with the grated cheese.


Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the edges of the shells are golden.  Serve hot with your favourite toppings.


 Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos


Of course it goes without saying I used Cirio Tomatoes for this.  They really are the best!  But then you already knew that I am sure.  ☺

Cirio Tomatoes

 Cirio Chopped Tomatoes . . .  authentically Italian.   They are so good I could just eat them out of the tin with a spoon, and do from time to time.  (Don't judge me!)   In a recipe where the tomatoes are going to be one of the stars, you want really good ones, and these are the best!

Super Fab, quick and delicious!  Bon Appetit!  Or should I say  Comiendo Feliz!
All of the content you see here on this page, both photography and written, are the sole property of The English Kitchen, Marie Rayner. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 




10 comments

  1. We just did this a few days ago. I've been wanting to bake tacos ever since I saw a picture of it on Pinterest. It's wonderful. I copied out your recipe.....and I have an idea. Mine were a little hard to get out of the dish. What if we put each one in its own little foil sling with some foil sticking up? Then, we could pick up the foil ends and deliver the tacos to our plates for stuffing! What do you think? I'm going to try it. I love tacos! I'll let you know how it turns out. Sis Kathie, in Odessa, WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathie, I didn't have any problem getting mine to come out at all. I didn't do the full recipe though as there are only two of us. The foil slings would work well I am thinking. Let me know how you got on! xo

      Delete
  2. I'm going to send this recipe to my daughter. She's a southern California girl who was raised eating authentic Mexican food, and now lives in Yorkshire. It's one of the things she misses most about home. Love your blog and your delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! Authentic Mexican is very hard to come by over here for sure! I do my best! I love Yorkshire and the Dales! Beautiful place! xo

      Delete
  3. They look so appetizing..my family across the street love these:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH these are a realy family treat Monique! If I had kids they would be adoring them too! xo

      Delete
  4. Are these hard to eat? I only ask because I generally avoid tacos as I end up wearing more than I eat! I love the flavours of tex-mex, but tend to use soft tacos or else make the dish and crumble the broken up shells over the top of it for crunch. I've never mastered the art of eating them I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part that is filled softens a bit Marie. I make Todd with the soft stand and stuff wheat flour tortillas and they worked wonderfully, and yes, in truth are a LOT easier to eat! xo

      Delete
  5. Oh that's funny. I never would have thought that Tex-Mex would be something so unique to the States (or North America) since it's so popular here. I'll have to send you a tin of chopped green chilies for Christmas. ;They even have tins of chopped tomatoes WITH green chilies. {gasp!} Thanks again, Marie. School is starting up again, so I'll be stalking your site looking for some recipes to get me out of my rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy back to school Amy! I miss those days! No kiddies to get ready here anymore. I was so surpised at the dearth of Mexican supplies over here for cooking! I used what I thought was like American Chili powder not too long after I arrived and just about killed my husband's 86 year old Auntie! About blew her head off and ours! It is completely unadulterated with anything and full strength, like cayenne! VERY hot! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!