Vegetable Chow Mein

Tuesday 21 February 2017



This dish is quick, easy and delicious.  It is such a simple thing and goes very well with stir fries of any kind, and if you add a bit of leftover cooked meat or poulrty can even double as a main course.  Mmmm . . . Chicken chow mein.  Who doesn't love that!



Its light and quite healthy I think.   I love noodles and more often than not will use the packets of ready cooked noodles, but you can cook noodles from scratch if you have them.  I confess I have even in the past used spaghetti because it is what I have had.


Feel free to adapt the vegetables for what you have to hand.  I like to use onions, carrots, and cabbage.  I also toss in a handful of mushrooms, spring onions and some beand sprouts and water chestnuts.


I don't use a lot of seasoning, just some soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and a bit of salt and pepper.  There is no heavy cloying sauce.  The end result is fresh and light, without any really overpowering flavours, just gentle subtleties with the nice flavours and crunch of the vegetables shining through..


If you have everything sliced and julienned and ready to go when you start, it really goes together in a flash!  I don't care if it is authentically Chinese or not.  I just know its tasty and we like it.  That's what counts the most!


*Vegetable Chow Mein*
Serves 4 to 6 

Quick, easy and delicious! 

1 TBS vegetable oil
1 large brown onion, peeled, halved and cut into half moons
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
4 spring onions, sliced
1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
a handful of closed cap mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces Chinese noodles, cooked according to the package directions, drained and rinsed
small tin of sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
1 tin of bean sprouts, drained, or the equivalent in fresh bean sprouts (about 2 cups)
60ml soy sauce (1/4 cup)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste 

First of all have all of your ingredients ready to go.  If you do this everything goes together in a flash! 

Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or a large skillet.  Add the onion and cook, until the onion is wilted, without browning.  Toss in the cabbage and carrots and cook until crispy tender.  Add the mushrooms and bean sprouts.  Toss and cook until the mushrooms have cooked.   Add the spring onions, water chestnuts, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Toss together until everything is coated and well mixed.  Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.



This is not something we have really often, but when we do it is something we really enjoy.  I hope that you do too!  Bon Appetit!

8 comments

  1. Isn't that funny..that I did buy cooked noodles once in a pack at one of our asian markets..hated the look of them..lol and never used them..I know MANY love them..I wonder why?
    I can eat cooked pasta salad..love all cooked pastas..just cannot get my head around them in a bag..Love Chow Meins though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I,like to cook my own Monique. The cooked ones depends on the brand. I have to confess I am a bit nervous these days about buying prepared stuf. There are so many bugs/poisons, listeria, etc. In ready prep food and recalls. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have never thought to make my own chow mein...and we do love it. I agree, with Monique. I cannot get my head around the package of noodles...they just look strange in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them do Kathy. I buy the LaChoy ones if I buy them and they are pretty good! xo

      Delete
  3. I have lived on thin rice noodles for the last three weeks. If I am ever set free from this diet I will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use thick rice noodles Suzan! They would work great! xo

      Delete
  4. Oh yum! This is my kind of dinner - and so very versatile. I think I'd add snow peas, broccoli and some thinly red bell peppers... yes, I can see this on my table sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those all sound like tasty additions Marie! Hope you like it. It is very simple, but sometimes simple is best! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!